- This event has passed.
Corrosion Training Course
January 14 @ 8:00 am - January 16 @ 5:00 pm EST
STRUCTURAL TECHNOLOGIES’ recognized subject matter experts (SMEs) deliver educational training courses to our engineering partners that specifically address solutions that repair, protect, and enhance civil and structural infrastructure. Our SMEs and market specialists will work with you to ensure each session is tailored to meet your needs.
OUR 3-DAY CORROSION TRAINING COURSE INCLUDES:
Corrosion of concrete is a significant contributor to the decay and damage of infrastructure in the United States. Understanding the causes that lead to this problem is important to best implement optimal solutions. This training course provides information about corrosion in concrete, including how it develops, systems applied for protection from it, and techniques used to assess the condition of a corroding concrete structure. This course also engages participants in a series of practical lab exercises to reinforce course topics and introduced concepts.
This is a 3-day, 30-hour course approved for 30 CEUs.
- Develop a basic understanding of electricity and chemistry as it relates to corrosion theory and corrosion in concrete.
- Understand cathodic protection principles, review galvanic cathodic protection systems and impressed current cathodic protection systems, and determine when and why to use each system.
- Complete hands-on training that includes operating and testing various galvanic and impressed current cathodic protection systems.
- Discuss corrosion condition assessment investigations and address various testing techniques used for this purpose.
- Demonstrate understanding of topics/concepts discussed each day by successfully participating in a series of practical lab exercises.
Day 1, January 14
- Introduction, Welcome, Overview
- Chapter 1 – Basic Electricity
- Chapter 2 – Basic Chemistry & Basic Corrosion Theory
- Chapter 3 – Corrosion in Concrete
- Lab Exercises
Day 2, January 15
- Lab Exercises Day 1 Discussion
- Chapter 4 – Cathodic Protection Principles
- Chapter 5 – Galvanic Cathodic Protection
- Chapter 6 – Galvanic CP Systems for Concrete
- Lab Exercises
Day 3, January 16
- Lab Exercises Day 2 Review
- Chapter 7 – Impressed Current Cathodic Protection
- Chapter 8 – ICCP CP Systems for Concrete
- Chapter 9 – Condition assessment and Design
- Lab Exercises
- Lab Exercises Review
- Wrap Up
The training will be three full days, January 14-16. Attendees should plan to arrive the night before training begins on January 13th and book a return flight no earlier than the evening of January 16th. We will wrap up training on Day 3 around 4:30-5:00 PM. Please consider the drive and traffic when booking return flights. We recommend booking your return flight to be the day after training ends.
- Baltimore Washington International (BWI) – Approximately 25 minutes from our office and hotels.
- Ronald Reagan International – Approximately 1.2 hours from our office and hotels.
- Dulles International (Washington D.C.) – Approximately 1.5 hours from our office and hotels.
These hotels are about a 6-minute drive from our office.
- Hampton Inn & Suites Columbia/South
7045 Minstrel Way, Columbia, MD 21046
- Spring Hill Suites by Marriott Columbia
7055 Minstrel Way, Columbia, MD 21046